Welcome to the official City of Metter website. Please explore this site to learn about the services and opportunities provided by our city and communicate with us about your needs and hopes for Metter, Georgia.
Metter, Georgia, founded in 1889, was incorporated in 1903 as a town in western Bulloch County. However, in 1906 Dr. Wallace Kennedy spearheaded a movement to create a new county with Metter as the county seat. The movement became reality in 1914 when Candler County was carved from parts of Bulloch, Emanuel and Tattnall counties and became Georgia’s 150th county. Metter re-incorporated as a city in 1920.
- Boys & Girls Club of Candler County
- Candler County Library
- Metter Municipal Airport
- Candler County Historical Society
The City of Metter will be accepting applications for a career firefighter position. The applicant must have:
- Knowledge of federal, state and local fire codes and ordinances.
- Knowledge of fire suppression practices, tactics, and safety techniques.
- Knowledge of first responder principles and applications.
- Knowledge of hazardous materials management.
- Knowledge of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in the use of light and heavy specialized firefighting/rescue equipment.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in interpersonal communication.
A job description and pay scale are available upon request at Metter City Hall. Office hours are 8:00 am to
5:00 pm Monday through Friday. The deadline for accepting applications will be Friday September 9, 2016
at 5:00 pm. All job applicants being considered for employment shall be required to pass a drug and
alcohol-screening test prior to being hired. The City of Metter is an equal opportunity employer.
The City of Metter will be accepting applications for the position of patrol officer,preferably certified, in the
police department. Applications will be accepted until the job is filled and must be submitted to City Hall,
to be considered. Interested persons may apply at City Hall, 49 S. Rountree Street, Metter, GA, Monday
through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. The job description and minimum qualifications will be available
at City Hall upon request.
All job applicants being considered for employment shall be required to pass a drug and alcohol screening
test prior to being hired.
The City of Metter is an equal opportunity employer.